Spicy, chewy ginger cookies and smooth, deep dark chocolate – that’s a match made in Christmas cookie heaven.
If you stopped by my Ginger sparkle cookie recipe, you know how I feel about this cookie. It’s a classic, around the holidays and always. It’s a staple in my recipe book.
It wasn’t until this little experiment that I realized just how beautifully ginger and dark chocolate work together.
In my head, I was all about the presentation. I could just picture the reddish brown of these cookies against a velvety chocolate dip, with pops of jewel-bright cranberries and festive pistachios.
When I tasted this combination, I was so pleased with the result.
It’s festive and the flavours work so well together. Plus, this cookie really pops.
If you’re a picky eater or baking on a tight budget, this recipe is flexible. If you don’t like dark chocolate, milk chocolate would work just as well. And white chocolate would be absolutely gorgeous, especially with those pops of red and green.
If pistachios are out of your budget (Warning: buying them pre-shelled can be pretty pricy), opt for something like sprinkles, coloured sugar or even minced, caramelized ginger.
There is no limit to the fun you can have with these cookies.
I’m not sure if it’s abundantly clear, but I absolutely love baking for the holidays.
It can be a lot of work, but the end result never ceases to make me smile. Plus, you’ve got dozens of edible presents to share.
If you’re looking for a cookie to gift, I definitely recommend this one. It freezes well and can be made in massive batches. It’s simple, yet sophisticated. I wrapped some up in some Dollarama cellophane and a bit of red ribbon and twine. Cheap, yet charming.
I can’t wait to share even more Christmas cookies with you!
Dark chocolate ginger cookies
- One batch of Ginger sparkle cookies
- 1/2 250 gram bag of dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or vegetable shortening)
- 1/4 cup of crushed, shelled pistachios
- 1/4 cup of sliced, dried cranberries
- Prepare your Ginger sparkle cookies as directed and set aside to cool. Ensure they are completely cooled before moving on to the next steps.
- Crush pistachios into small pieces. Slice dried cranberries into thin slivers. A good, sharp knife will make quick work of both of these steps.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add your dark chocolate and coconut oil. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring each time, until completely melted with no visible chocolate chips.
- Dip one half of each cookie before placing on a parchment or wax paper-lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle with pistachios and cranberries.
- Place in the fridge for an hour to cool.