Peanut butter cookie oatmeal (Vegan, Gluten-free)

Hello 2017!

It’s the morning after the night before – one of the biggest party nights of the year. You might be hungover, regretting that last swig of cheap champagne or, like me, regretting that last piece of pizza. For the first time in my adult life, I didn’t indulge in alcohol on New Year’s Eve.

Still, I really piled on the junk food.

I rang in the New Year at a friend of a friend’s, playing silly games (Speak Out, anyone?), watching the countdown and munching on tray after tray of apps and snacks. Instead of my usual gin and soda, I chugged water.

It didn’t really help the guilt I felt this morning.

January is a month of promises. You tell yourself you’ll get in shape, eat better, spend less. The motivation comes and goes.

For a lot of people, the promises they make to themselves are just too big. It doesn’t do anyone any good to swear off sugar right away or go totally vegan or cut out their favourite foods.

almond-mik-oatmeal

I’m a big believer in not depriving yourself of the things you love. I’m a balance girl, trying every day to make that 80/20 balance of healthy and indulgence work.

Crash diets don’t work. Neither do fads like juice cleanses or quick fixes that promise the world. You just have to change your lifestyle.

You need to wake up every day and tell yourself that you’re not the kind of person who needs a daily, sugary soda or bag of chips. You are the kind of person who likes to get up and move. You are the kind of person who chooses salad over french fries 80 percent of the time and the other 20 per cent, you indulge.Β And you eat slowly, cherishing every beautiful french fry. Because they are so damn good, but, like anything, it’s better in moderation.

Recipes like this one have really helped me stay in shape. I do not eat eggs for breakfast and I rarely eat bread, so I need to get creative with my healthy morning options.

The only sugar in this recipe comes from the banana. Never have processed sugar at breakfast. Even if you think you’re making a good choice with yogurt, you need to make sure it’s plain yogurt. If you think your granola is a healthy choice, chances are the sugar content outstrips the fibre and protein it’s offering.

Plain oats and unsweetened almond milk are the way to go. This is a filling breakfast, hearty enough to get me through my morning walk and last until my 10 AM coffee.

almond-milk-oatmeal

Plus, it tastes like a big, melted peanut butter cookie. I love the way the subtle vanilla in the almond milk mixes in with the peanut butter. Using large flake oats (never quick cooking) adds an amazing texture and feels more substantial. The banana sweetens it up, without being overpowering.

This is my favourite way to start the day. And, it’s how I’m starting 2017.

Happy New Year!

Peanut butter cookie oatmeal
Vegan, gluten-free

Ingredients

  • 1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2 banana, sliced
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup of large flake oats (buy gluten-free if you have issues with gluten)

Directions

  1. Pour almond milk into a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute, 30 seconds. Or, heat in a pot over the stove until bubbling.
  2. If using the stove method, place your oats, banana and peanut butter in your breakfast bowl and pour the almond milk over. Stir until fully combined and wait three minutes for oats to soak up the milk. If using the microwave method, add oats, banana and peanut butter to the hot bowl of almond milk and let rest for three minutes.
  3. Enjoy!

Yum

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*