Hello lovely people!
If it feels like it’s been ages since we last spoke, that’s because it has been.
I have been one busy girl. Between work, working on different freelance projects, working out and maintaining my social life (almost), Livelymess has fallen by the wayside.
I’m so sorry!
As much as I love Livelymess, I love paying the bills! And sadly, we’re not there – yet! Give me time to build my blogging empire.
I’ll keep today’s post short and sweet – but not too sweet! Like these Raspberry Lemon Muffins.
There are so many ways to name these beauties. Greek Yogurt Raspberry Muffins. Lighter Raspberry Lemonade Muffins. Whole Wheat Raspberry Muffins.
I didn’t know what to do!
So, I settled for the most basic title. But, these muffins are far from basic. They are my new FAVOURITE lightened up muffin recipe for spring.
They have this light, bright lemon taste mixed with tart raspberry and greek yogurt – this makes them super fluffy.
I cut out all but 1/4 cup of added sugar to make these healthier. The yogurt I used was flavoured and sweetened (I actually hate sweetened yogurt, but I bought it by mistake). If you use plain Greek yogurt, add a little extra sugar.
I made mine with whole wheat flour. I’m a bit of a health nut, but white bread is my vice. I always attribute it to the fact that I used to have braces as a kid, and I hated little granules of whole wheat getting stuck in them.
Really though, I just love the pure, gluteny goodness of soft, pillowy white bread.
If you’re anything like me, you might be wary of muffins with a whole wheat base. Fear not, these do not taste like they are packed with fibre and goodness. They just taste good. Damn good (if you warm em’ up with salted butter and a slather of raspberry jam).
These are so quick to whip up and this makes a big enough batch to serve your family or your brunch mates.
So go on, get baking. Get on with your Saturday! Get lively.
Raspberry Lemon Muffins
Makes 12-14 (depending)
- 1 cup plain or vanilla Greek or plain yogurt*
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar* (if using unsweetened yogurt, add an extra 2 tbsp of sugar)
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl, mix yogurt, eggs, vanilla, canola oil and milk until creamy. Add sugar, lemon zest, salt, flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix until fully incorporated. Fold in sliced raspberries
- Pour into liners. If you want them slightly smaller, just fill up 2/3 of the way. This should make 14 muffins.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, with no runny batter.
- Cool and serve!