When I was a kid, Canada Day was my favourite holiday – Christmas aside, of course.
I absolutely loved when the city would come alive with celebrations, maple leaf flags flapping every which way.
It’s one of the only holidays that happens during warm weather, making it all the more appealing.
I’ve spent the past few Canada Days in a small seaside town in New Brunswick called St. Andrews-By-The-Sea. You’ve probably heard of it more recently when USA Today named it the Number One place to visit in Canada – very cool!
It’s this gorgeous little town on the water, smelling of salt and the faint, comforting smell of fried fish and chips. It’s known for it’s picturesque downtown core and renowned cuisine.
On Canada Day, the streets are packed with vendors and musicians and they open up heritage homes to explore. We sit on patios and drink beer and eat french fries.
It’s absolutely perfect.
I’m lucky enough to be spending another Canada Day in New Brunswick.
As much as I love Montreal, my Canada looks like New Brunswick. I love the rugged coast, lush greenery and friendly people. I love drinking gin and Fresca on my parent’s deck. I love barbecues that last all night. I love fresh, bright, beautiful fruits and vegetables.
We’re smack-dab in the middle of strawberry season.
It’s when my favourite berry, one of the best ingredients in my opinion, is at it’s very best.
For my Strawberry lemon cream pie, I picked up a quart of fresh, locally grown berries. The California berries you can get year-round just don’t compare.
These babies are small, sweet and dissolve right in your mouth.
They are the perfect topping for this simple, no-bake pie. I’m on a big no-bake kick. I don’t have air conditioning, so I love anything that keeps me from heating up the house.
This pie is picnic perfect and so simple to make. I threw it together in less than an hour, lemon curd included. The lemon curd really makes this pie special, but if you’re low on time and lemons, you can make just a simple strawberry cream pie.
It’s a great centrepiece for your Canada Day celebrations.
Happy Canada Day!
Strawberry lemon cream pie
- 1 1/2 cups graham crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 8 oz cream cheese (light is fine)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 batch of Microwave Lemon Curd
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced
- Prepare your microwave lemon curd in advance according to the AllRecipes instructions.
- Melt butter and mix it with graham crumbs. Press into a standard pie pan or springform pan.
- Using a stand or handheld mixer, cream together cream cheese, vanilla and sugar until fluffy. In a separate bowl, whip cream until it forms stiff peaks. Fold the cream cheese mixture into the whipped cream.
- Pour the cream filling into the pie and top with lemon curd. Slice strawberries and lay them in any formation you wish on top of the pie. Keep in the fridge until ready to serve. Can be kept in the fridge for up to 24 hours in advance.