Have you ever made a recipe and thought, “I can’t wait to eat this tomorrow for lunch?”
That’s how I feel about these Vegan hoisin lentil tacos with spicy peanut sauce.
It’s been so long since I’ve made an awesome, fun new vegan dish for dinner. If you’re a devoted Livelymess reader (Hi mom!) you know that I am not vegan. To me, life without chicken fingers isn’t much of a life at all.
But, I totally respect vegan culture and la-la-love experimenting with vegan recipes.
Especially when those recipes involve my favourite flavours! I’m such a sucker for those sweet, spicy, almost smoky flavours you get from Vietnamese-inspired dishes. And, of course, a girl can’t live without her cilantro. Put it on all of my non-dessert food, please.
Earlier this year, I did a one-month vegetarian challenge. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy and fun it was, even though I’m not ready to make it a full-time commitment. Lentils really helped me out during those few weeks.
They are so versatile. I made so many variations on tacos and scrambles with lentils as my base. Lentils are filling and packed with protein and fibre.
Seriously, I had just two tacos and that filled me right up. Plus, they are mega-cheap. I picked up a bag for just $2.49 to make this recipe and barely used a 1/4 of the bag.
Between versatility, nutritional value and price – it’s a win-win-win.
These tacos are both sweet and spicy. The peanut sauce adds this extra rich layer of flavour and really ties it all together. For me, the addition of cilantro and cucumber is a must. They add some crunch and some contrast to the dish.
If you are already worried about the carb count in the lentils and want to skip the tortillas altogether, go ahead! This dish would make an awesome topping for a salad, just add in some sliced up red peppers and sugar snap peas and you’re all set!
I’d love to hear how you prepare your lentils, or if you have a favourite vegan/vegetarian taco recipe to share. Tell me in the comments!
Wishing you the happiest, sunniest summer week!
Hoisin Lentil Tacos
Makes 10 tacos
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp honey (or maple syrup or brown sugar if vegan)
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 batch of peanut sauce (see below)
- Cucumber, cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot on the stove, add onions, garlic, sesame and canola oil. Cook until onions are translucent. Add water and lentils. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 15 minutes with the pot covered.
- Add in soy sauce, hoisin, honey (or maple syrup or brown sugar), Sriracha and lime juice. Cover again and let simmer for another 15-20 minutes. Taste your lentils and change the flavour as you wish. Add more soy sauce if you like salty, more sugar if you like sweet or more Sriracha if you like spicy.
- Add a few spoonfuls to a warmed corn tortilla and top with peanut sauce (recipe below), cucumber and cilantro
Spicy Peanut Sauce
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar (or honey or maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- A few drops of Sriracha (to taste)
Mix all of your ingredients together in a bowl until smooth. Spoon onto your prepared taco.